background





Tuesday 17 December 2013

Winter Walks.

Over the course of winter, I aim to document my treks in the areas around north west Manchester. These will include hopefully the natural sites around Radcliffe, Bury, Rochdale, Ramsbottom and maybe Whitefield/Prestwich. 

The goal for me is to visit the natural areas near these towns to see how abundant the wildlife is including forest areas, around rivers and lakes and hillsides. 

My Dad once said to me that there was no need to go trekking up mountains in the Lakes or Snowdonia etcetera because we live near so many natural areas and places of interest specific to nature and good habitats for wildlife.

Having done a lot of trekking up mountains in the past, I think now is as good a time as any to write down my experiences in our local areas. I don't need to even get in the car to visit all of the areas I will be visiting this winter. 

Louis and I have already visited a multitude of local places with our bat detector over the last few years and found that there is many different sub-species of bat roosting every year. I am far off being a bat expert but a little bit of searching these places with the help of the bat detector and the internet, we have found at least three different sub-species in Radcliffe alone. This is simple science and knowledge to attain and for me at least, the results are really rewarding.

I am looking forward to getting started so goodbye for now and happy adventuring. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment